Thursday, September 29, 2011

2012 Porsche Carrera GTS First drive

While the 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS Offered a great step up in power and looks, slotting the between the standard rear-drive 911 and the Turbo, thanks to its wide-bodied look and 408-bhp 3.8-liter upgrade over the stock 345-bhp 3.6 -liter flat-6-it was only a matter of time before the German automaker would offer an all-wheel-drive version.

About 9 miles up from the bottom of Glendora Mountain Road in a 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS, it hit me: I'm not working very hard. Translation: I'm hauling ass. By "work so hard," he's referring to the GT3 RS and GT2 RS We tested a couple of months back. Both of Those are little more than thinly Veiled race cars. "A 911's supposed to be an everyday car," Kim Muses.
Those words are ricocheting around my head as I blast the 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS through our MT figure eight. On the freeway the GTS felt docile, even slow. I'd taken her out of Sport Because I wanted the PDK to engage seventh gear, and I'd switched the suspension from Sport back to normal Because, well, I'm getting old and the car rides a little rough. Thing is, when you're not in Sport or Sport Plus, the PDK is not only lazy, but the throttle response is turned way down. I had a hard time maintaining a constant 80 mph.
Kim complained of a hint of understeer, and a little bit of testing Revealed That PSM popped on for a moment under full throttle. Back to That Daydream of a mountain road. There's no traffic. It's more like skiing than driving; the whole car feels INVOLVED in the turning process, not just the front wheels.